[plug] dual boot - Windows reinstall

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat Mar 1 17:10:41 WST 2003

>>| If the Windows installer is an OEM version, it is likely to blow away all
>>| unrecognised partitions and redo everything from scratch. Polite. So back up
>>| anything you treasure first, including hard-won config files or whatever.

It /does/ warn you first, or at least 9x's does. Though it could be
clearer that it will kill ALL data not just create a new windoze
partition in a free bit of the disk...

>>| If there's nothing you treasure on there, safest approach is to install
>>| Windows first, then (re)install Linux, FreeBSD, whatever afterwards.
>>
>>Yes.  I'm not sure whether all versions of Windows allow you to choose the
>>size of the partitions it creates, though... urgh.

All the 9x variants make the decision for you, you have to run DOS FDISK
instead. This can be done from the dos prompt available by booting the
cd. I've found it OK (well, much much safer) to use fdisk/cfdisk under
linux then do a "fdisk /mbr" under dos, install windoze (again), then
reinstall grub to the boot sector once its all over. DO NOT FORMAT A
WINDOWS BOOT PARTITON WITH mkdosfs, it doesn't write the ms boot code to
the partition header bits, and the only way to fix it seems to be
another reinstall.

Ideal solution: if you /must/ use windows, use win2k - it's least likely
to make you feel like gnawing off your own face, especially once you
install cygwin, putty, mozilla, etc.

> If you want to re-install Windows after Linux is installed on the system :

Scream in frustration.

Oh, and NEVER EVER EVER run DOS FDISK once you have linux partitons, at
least if you use ext'd partitions. Same goes for the win9x setup.exe
format tool. I once let it create a "new primary partition" at hda1 ...
unfortunately it overlapped all the contents of the ext'd partition and
took up the entire disk. It then began formatting - hence my first
Debian reinstall in 3 1/2 years. *sigh*. If only I could afford two
high-power computers....