[plug] Kernel compile

J Michael Gilks gilksjm at iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 5 00:00:51 WST 2003

I have just compiled my first kernel, and as always there is a hitch.
The kernel is 2.4.19-24mdkcustom which is Mandrakes latest offering.
The problem is that I installed the RPM for the kernel which installed nicely
and seems to work. This put a System.map file in /boot.
I compiled a new kernel from the source, did make dep, make clean make
bzImage, make modules, make modules_install.
All going swimmingly until I come to install the new image. When I try
cp System.map /boot
I am asked if I want to overwrite System.map.
This is where I bailed.
My question is, will overwriting System .map lose the 2.4.19-24 kernel I
already have? If this will happen, what can I do to keep both versions?

Further questions I probably should have asked before starting are
1: After running depmod -a, will old dependencies be wiped out if not needed
for the new kernel?
2: How do you uninstall a kernel?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Love