[plug] Kernel compile

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Wed Mar 5 08:42:45 WST 2003

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, J Michael Gilks wrote:

> All going swimmingly until I come to install the new image. When I try
> cp System.map /boot
> I am asked if I want to overwrite System.map.

That file is just a symbol table, used for debugging. You can ignore it,
delete it or see:

http://www.dirac.org/linux/systemmap.html

> My question is, will overwriting System .map lose the 2.4.19-24 kernel I
> already have? If this will happen, what can I do to keep both versions?

Rename, and keep both files, but they are not vital.

> 2: How do you uninstall a kernel?

rm /boot/*$myversion
rm -r /lib/modules/$myversion

--
Ask not for whom the telephone bell tolls...
if thou art in the bathtub, it tolls for thee.