[plug] Secure samba shares possible over the net?

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Mar 6 07:25:42 WST 2003

In message <03030523574301.01456 at neddy>
on Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 11:57:43PM -0800, Steve Boak wrote:
> One of my users (that I trust) wants to access samba shares from home
> (ie dialup, dynamic IP address). I have Mandrake 9.0, Samba and
> shorewall running on the server, all going nicely over the LAN, but
> I'm a little worried about opening a hole in the firewall.

If you are happy to have traffic from the contacting host authenticated
(probably the bit you're most after) and optionally encrypted, you could
use some protocol such as IPsec or (with varying degrees of insecurity
for Microsoft's implementations, I hear) PPTP.