[plug] [link] a lawyer Switches

Peter J. Nicol PeterNicol at vrl.com.au
Fri Mar 7 14:10:12 WST 2003

>  As far as I'm concerned, I win and they win. They buy my product because
>  it's competitive with my featureless opponents product on price and
>  features, but if they need to upgrade it they can with less outlay than
>  purchasing a completely new product.

If your product takes off, you are leaving youself wide open to anyone who can
disable your restrictions.  When I discover that I paid $3000 for something that I
only had to pay $1500 for, I am not going to be happy.

Interestingly, yours are the exact same arguments used by Micrsoft amongst others
to justify things like CALS etc, that is, artificial restrictions on the use of
their software.

I have bought the software, it will run on my hardware, but if anyone wants to use
it, I have to pay per user.  This is on of the big reasons why Linux is taking off
... no CALS.

iirc, there was an registry hack that changed the number of users that could
connect to an NT server.  It was artificially restricted to maybe 10 users in some
versions.