[plug] [OT] Open Source Business Plan

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Sun Mar 9 22:47:13 WST 2003

Hello,

I like some advice about an important decision I need to make.

I've spent a long time planning what I would describe as an experimental
new type of company. Basically is involves making the business plan
freely available on the internet released under an Open Source license.

This would allow people all over the world to help develop the business
plan and with it the entire company. In exchange for this anyone could
use the business plan to start a company providing they follow the
license agreement which in some ways would be similar to the GPL.

Imagine an Open Source McDonalds with zero franchise license costs.

The company would be completely transparent and much more open that
companies today.

Of course there would be a lot possible negative effects like your
competitors knowing what your doing (even if they can't do that
according to the license they probably still would) or a person deciding
to start-up the same company in the same region as you.

Now I am at a fork in the road and need to make an important decision do
I open source my business plan or keep it proprietary like (probably)
every other company on the planet?

regards,

Chris Caston