[plug] [OT] Open Source Business Plan

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Mon Mar 10 07:08:24 WST 2003

On Sun, 2003-03-09 at 22:47, Chris Caston wrote:
> Of course there would be a lot possible negative effects like your
> competitors knowing what your doing (even if they can't do that
> according to the license they probably still would) or a person deciding
> to start-up the same company in the same region as you.

While this may not directly assist you, let me share the following:

As a software developer I've developed a cool piece of code. I could
apply for a patent to protect the code, but in doing so I'm actually
publishing my method to bigger companies who employ people who do
nothing else but read patents to give their company a competitive
advantage. Pharmaceutical companies only apply for patents for
hard-to-reproduce results, the real edge for them is secrecy.

What I concluded was that applying for a patent would arouse interest
from bigger fish than me - deeper pockets - no chance to defend myself.

My software edge is safer by sending my solution to a few clients,
continuing to develop the code and make money along the way - keeping
under the radar if you like.

I suppose the bottom line for me is that there is no way that you can
defend yourself against hostile forces - so in my opinion - don't
bother, do what you do and if it all works - great.

My advice, which may seem contrary to what you might think after reading
this, is as follows:

Publish the plan - given that this is what you intimate your plan is all
about, suck it and see. MacDonalds is unlikely to take on your idea,
given that they are really a real-estate company, not a fast-food-chain.

If others take on your idea, the idea worked - success.

If the plan doesn't work, the idea was flawed - have a new idea.
--
Onno Benschop connected via Optus B3 from S32:07'36" - E115:48'42"
(Yangebup, WA)
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..

ITmaze   -   ABN: 56 178 057 063   -  ph: 04 1219 8888   -
onno at itmaze.com.au