[plug] [OT] Open Source Business Plan

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Mon Mar 10 09:53:57 WST 2003

On 9 Mar 2003, Chris Caston wrote:

> I've spent a long time planning what I would describe as an experimental
> new type of company. Basically is involves making the business plan
> freely available on the internet released under an Open Source license.

I dont see an analogy between a business plan and source code going very
far. The source code is more like a matured business, tested and modified
over many iterations, until it is shown to consistentlty make a profit.
A business plan is more like a high-level project design, which may or may
not have any value until it is fleshed out and tested.

> This would allow people all over the world to help develop the business
> plan and with it the entire company. In exchange for this anyone could
> use the business plan to start a company providing they follow the
> license agreement which in some ways would be similar to the GPL.

The conditions that make this work for software dont exist here AFAICS.

> Imagine an Open Source McDonalds with zero franchise license costs.

It would be very interesting to hear how that might work. And why would
it be desirable? Do you enforce standards, or let them fork their own
version? The GPL analogy gives an interesting starting point, but opens a
million questions. The GPL depends on copyright law. McDonalds on
trademark law. How do you traverse that gulf?

> Now I am at a fork in the road and need to make an important decision do
> I open source my business plan or keep it proprietary like (probably)
> every other company on the planet?

Do not public companies operate fairly openly? The McDonalds business
model is no secret. I can think of many examples of business models that
are openly copied with no licencing - lawnmowing, corner delis, barbers,
newsagents, pizza shops, ...  Look at most shops, or small businesses, and
you can immediately categorise them. One shopkeeper watches his
competitors, copying new variations. No licenses here, just testing
and sharing of ideas, unencumbered (or protected) by law.

You've given some vague teasers here, but its a bit hard to contribute
without seeing the meat of the ideas. It certainly sounds bold and
challenging.

[ Should this be Repy-to: the off-topic list ? ]

--
Ask not for whom the telephone bell tolls...
if thou art in the bathtub, it tolls for thee.