[plug] Linux Viruses

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Mar 11 15:50:47 WST 2003

 > Are viruses for Linux really that common?

Nope. There's the occasional worm that exploits flaws in server software
  (apache, sshd, etc) but I've never heard of /any/ viri in the usual
sense (executable-infecting virus, email worm/trojan, etc).

 > I mean...this is the first time I've actually
 > heard of anything regarding a Linux virus.

One hears discussion occasionally, but that's about it. Linux is not
immune to viri, but it is harder for a virus to cripple the system since
nobody in their right mind runs as root. So a virus can't infect shared
executables. Also mail programs tend to be less ridden with security
holes than our old friend "Look Out!" express. Generally the worst that
could happen is damage to and/or theft of user data - and disinfection
should be easy since root can't get infected without a lot of effort. I
don't expect viri to ever become a serious problem for linux, even once
they do appear.

Craig Ringer