[plug] Linux Viruses

Craig Foster fostware at iinet.net.au
Mon Mar 10 19:09:42 WST 2003

Umm yeah, ELF/OSF,8751 - Apparently it's a popular bomb for those who
have been r00ted. Saw it in an old attack for a apache race condition
dump, which then ran the file, which set itself suid, and opened up a
rogue ssh daemon. It infects other ELF binaries when executed.

Nasty, but it's the only Linux virus I've seen in the wild. Even then,
it was secondary to the exploit.

Regards,

Craig Foster
fostware at iinet.net.au (with SMIME)