[plug] [link] Whirlpool - A new [linux] file mirror for Bigpond customers

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Mon Mar 10 21:15:14 WST 2003

    http://whirlpool.net.au/article.cfm/1091

<quote>
Bigpond has reversed its decision to stop mirroring Linux distributions, and
actually created a new and expanded file mirror for Bigpond subscribers.

Bigpond stopped mirroring Linux in January, angering customers who were
annoyed to lose access to their one free file mirror for non-gaming files.

At the time Telstra Broadband Chief Justin Milne explained to Whirlpool that
GameArena had limited resources, and was trying to focus its efforts on
providing a dedicated gaming resource.

But when Whirlpool pointed out that Bigpond customers were annoyed that their
single free mirror for applications and OS distributions had been removed,
Justin replied, "I'm listening. Let me dig deeper."

And just weeks later, Bigpond released its expanded and enhanced file mirror.

The new site is available to Bigpond ADSL and Cable customers, and is exempt
from bandwidth metering.
</quote>

Quite an improvement, given that Telstra's latency to anywhere else sucks
big-time. (-:

Non-Telstra users can't download from there, but they can vote, so if you have
the time...

Cheers; Leon