[plug] redirecting url's

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Mar 11 08:09:51 WST 2003

In message <1047305238.2575.24.camel at spockster>
on Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 10:07:17PM +0800, Darren wrote:
> is it possible to forward all packets or only ports needed

Yes ;-)

> to another webserver connected directly to my adsl modem (alcatel
> speed touch with inbuilt hub ) using nat commands

Well if, we assume your ADSL modem is always going to be contactable
from the outside world (i.e. the sort of problems you are trying to plan
for are those strictly limited to your "home computers", not the actual
provision of connectivity between your home and the outside world), then
the answer is "yes".

?

?

> so when there is a problem with the main server i could connect to the
> modem make the changes and then take the main server out for repair ?

Yes. (Note: depending on your modem's configuration options and possibly
WestNet's terms and conditions, you might or might not be able to do
this remotely. However, can definitely do this from your home network.)
Also note that if your main server is taken out for repair you can just
put your backup server on your main server's IP address.

> if i pay to registar a domain do i get to assign the nameservers
> ?how does that part of the process work ?

Depends on your registrar. You need at least two name servers. Sometimes
there are additional conditions. One of your servers can be your own
(though of course you will have to set this up with your modem's NAT,
just like your web server).