[plug] Building a GUI app to generate a wordprocessed letter

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Tue Mar 11 21:05:05 WST 2003

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 13:40:00 +0000, Derek Fountain wrote:

> The problem here is that LyX and LaTeX aren't really user facing things when
> it comes to simple letters and the like. The user here is my girlfriend who
> runs fitness classes. She just wants to be able to fill in a form when
> someone answers an advert, and have a standard letter pop out which she can
> post to them. It's currently a manual process involving lots of bits of
> paper.
>
> She currently uses Win2K, with Wordperfect. I should be able to sway her
> towards OO if there's a reason to do so. UNIX based typesetting tools are
> probably too much of a jump.

Nah, it is easy enough once you get it set up.  For example SQL Ledger
(http://www.sql-ledger.org) uses LaTeX to produce its invoices, statements
and reminders.  You have a CGI interface to customise these documents, and
the substitutions into the TeX templates are done with Perl.

--
JEREMY MALCOLM <Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au> Personal: http://www.malcolm.id.au
Providing online networks of Australian lawyers (http://www.ilaw.com.au)