[plug] reinstalling the linux boot

Sham Chukoury chukours at sesmailp1.curtin.edu.au
Thu Mar 13 01:04:40 WST 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 00:13, Dene Staples wrote:
<snip>
> When I try to start the Linux install cds I get rebooted into WindowsXP all
> the time. Has anybody managed to install linux on a box with XP in it?
>
> So there you are. I can get files from the Linux side, but I can't boot into
> it, just yet. Any ideas?

Well, I've got Debian 3.0r1 (thanks Quintin! :) working nicely alongside
WinXP here. :P I just followed my same old (dodgy) install process...

1) Install Linux on hda with boot loader on MBR
2) Install Windows on hdb with its boot loader at start of hdb (the
dodgy bit here is to disconnect the linux drive so that windows thinks
it's installing itself on C:\)
3) configure boot loader (LILO, in my case) to have option to boot hdb
3.5) i also find that things to work out nicely when i swap the drives
around in the BIOS (check LILO docs to know how it's done) when booting
windows.
4) Enjoy :)

I haven't had any problems with this setup yet... Another setup i tried,
with both OSes on the same disk resulted in the windows partition
getting corrupted for some strange reason. :P

Good luck
§:)