[plug] Mandrake 9 on XBOX

Simon Scott sscott at iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 13 10:09:36 WST 2003

> > 5 - A listing of commands for backing up the original XBOX installation
> > files - just in case you might want to revert your system back to its
>
> How hard is it to make the X-box dual-boot?
> I imagine it would make a nice home entertainments system - games, CD
> jukebox, DVD player, mpeg4 player, ...

This is what Id like - network the xbox to the fileserver and implement some
sort of mplayer wrapper so you can choose a movie with the joystick/remote and
it will play.

Is there much information on using the joysticks/remotes as input devices with
linux?

Not much point having a nice small xbox in your living room if you have an
ugly mouse and keyboard hanging off it :D

> Is it powerful enough to play mpeg4/divx recordings? Does mplayer work?
> A more powerful PC with TV card could be used to record as a PVR, and
> serve mpeg4 over ethernet.

Exactly where I am going.

> I wouldnt think of it as a "cheap" box. Given its speed, you could get a
> used PC for less money and a lot less hassle.

But it does have its strong points, its smallish, stylish, and it costs MS
money when you buy one :D