[plug] DVD's on Linux

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 13 12:28:15 WST 2003

G'day mate! :)

I've been playing encrypted DVDs for a long time, firstly with the use of
MPlayer then Ogle afterwards. If you'rre after menus at this point int time,
Ogle will certainly be the player of choice, as MPlayer is more a of a
general video player. I recommend installing MPlayer anyway, though. IT has
extensive documentation and uses another library, apart from deccs
(libdvdkit I think). Ogle should be able to use this, I think.

If you need help installing MPlayer, contact me offlist and I'll send you
the article that's meant for a future linmag. MPlayer is certainly for power
users and not for the faint of heart I must warn you, but it should set you
up for libraries in the future. Ogle's probably the player of choice at the
moment, although video playback can suffer motion problems when
non-accelerated. Use MPlayer if video motion compensation is important, or a
wide variety of audio options.

Cheers! John :)

Make lunch, not war.