[plug] Hardware problem or kernel bug?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat Mar 15 15:03:04 WST 2003

> | Or; you couls switch to a real filesystem ext3 is good ;P
>
> Will do so - I've always used ext[23] on the past but this machine was
> only installed recently and for some reason I trusted the people on Plug
> who asserted that reiserfs really works and is inherently better than
> ext3 :)

I've been running one of our servers on reiserfs since well before there
was an ext3. We needed the journalling, /now/. Its been rock solid, as
has my home box. I strongly suggest that you check your hardware, and
ensure that the harddisk is running correctly. The only time I ever saw
problems like that, it was due to a slowly failing hdd controller on the
motherboard, and was corrupting both the reiserfs and ext3 filesystems
on the machine.

In all honesty, I've been less than thrilled with ext3, and am very
inclined to reccomend reiserfs. I've never encountered fs corruption on
either fs that wasn't caused by dodgy hardware, and I find reiser faster
and easier to work with.

Craig Ringer