[plug] Linux doesn't boot

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Sat Mar 15 16:15:12 WST 2003

Changed my motherboard from a ASUS A7V 133 (with 4 IDE connectors) and a Athlon 750Mhz CPU 512MB DIMM to a EPox 8K3A 333Mhz mboard, Athlon 1500+, 1GB DDR.
I also want to change my video (AGP) from a GeForce2 to a GeForce4 MX440 64MB DDR later today, but I want to get the system up and running first.  Then I want to upgrade the kernel before I install the video card.

My original installation had the hard disk on root = "hde2".  Now it doesn't boot, the drive is on IDE1 and it's on the 2nd partition (W2KP is on the 1st partition).  If I'm right wouldn't this would be hda2?
My existing grub.conf reads:
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz.new ro root=/hde2 hdb=ide-scsi hda=ide-scsi
initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.7-10.img

If I'm right the new grub.conf should read:
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz.new ro root=/hda2 hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi
initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.7-10.img

fdisk shows the following:
/dev/hda1 = hpfs/ntfs
/dev/hda2 = linux
/dev/hda3 = linux swap

dmesg shows
hda: ATA Disk
hdb: Zip Drive
hdc: DVD
hdd: CD-Burner

Does this look okay?

Thanks

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby