[plug] installing different versions of mozilla

Ari Finander outrider at operamail.com
Sat Mar 15 16:11:20 WST 2003

Hi all,

I want to install mozilla 1.0.2 and mozilla 1.3 in /usr/local on my RedHat8 system.  RedHat comes with 1.0.1 and I want to try updating.  I have not manually updated any programs by downloading source or an installer.  The versions of mozilla come as either full or online installers in tar.gz format.  I've downloaded the full installer for 1.0.2.  I do not want to use uninstall the mozilla version that came with RH8.  I also do not want to have multiple email and news listings.  Before I do anything, I'd like some advise regarding the installation of these two newer versions of mozilla (1.0.2 and 1.3).  Here's what I want to achieve in the end:

- Working versions of mozilla 1.0.1, 1.0.2, and 1.3

- All three installations using the same news and email files (I don't know which files these are)

I'm worried I may over write things, even though I'm installing into different directories: /usr/local/mozilla-1.0.2 and /usr/local/mozilla-1.3

I'm going to create desktop links to each of the mozilla installations after I get things working.

I've read the installation notes on the mozilla website but they do not address the above queries.

TIA,

Ari