[plug] Constant rsync'ing...

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Mar 17 15:40:19 WST 2003

> Somewhat related to Intermezzo - does anyone know if it's possible to rescale
> a loop-back filesystem semi-dynamically? eg; You create a 100Mb file, ext3
> it, Intermezzo it, then 3 months later decide it'd be better to have it
> 200Mb. Any way to "parted" the file (short of creating a new one of the new
> size, duplicating content, etc...)? ^_^

With simple ext2 partitions, expand the file (something like:
	dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=100 | cat orig_file - > new_file
) then use resize2fs to resize it. I know resize_reiserfs automatically
expands to the size of the file/partition but I'm not sure about
resize2fs. I also don't know if the intermezzo or ext3 stuff will have
any effect... but that's the general idea. Testing /strongly/
reccomended on non-critical data.

You may also want to look into AFS. I know basically nothing about it,
but its a name that might lead you to more info - I think its a
distributed FS that could do the job (?).

Craig