[plug] Dual Booting - BIOS disk limits

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Thu Mar 20 09:30:19 WST 2003

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, John Clayton wrote:

> >each OS needs to start in the first 2-4 GB of the disk space.  He suggested

Maybe, depending on your BIOS. Not if its new. But that doesnt mean your
partitions need to be there. The BIOS software is used to load the kernel,
and if it has disk-size limits, only the kernel and boot sector need to be
on low-disk.
  You can put them on your windoze partition. No need for a separate /boot
partition. At least it works with FAT, maybe not with NTFS. Anyone?

> >I would be much better off with two HDD's because then each OS would
> >automatically be in the first 4 B of its respective disk.
> >
> >Is that correct?

There are easier solutions. But most likely, you will not have a problem.

> If your windows is an NT derivative (win2K or winXP) then it should have the
> nt loader. This can be used to handle the problem quite easily. Just copy
> the first 512 bytes of you linux boot partition after you have run lilo so

Are you saying that will make the NTLDR load the Linux kernel? I thought
it just used the BIOS to load it, in which case it won't solve the
problem, if there is one. I'm not saying it doesnt work, just that if it
does, you never had a disk-size problem to begin with. (true?)

--
Ask not for whom the telephone bell tolls...
if thou art in the bathtub, it tolls for thee.