[plug] [OT] Office XP 30 day evil

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Mar 21 14:15:27 WST 2003

> Some people are stubborn, they want their MS Office.  The same people
> that then whinge and bitch about how the software doesn't do this or
> crashes or stuffs up their layout etc.
>
> Seriously, sometimes you just can't win.

I know :-(

I'm having some significant problems with OO.o here. We're using it on
our new linux thin client network (literally anything is better then MS
Works 2.0 on a Win95 486 w 16mb RAM), and overall its working very well.
Even over remote X11 to a P100 thin client.

 The number 1 issue is word-doc import formatting though - the drooling
idiots that are some of our less mentally talented advertisers /will/
design their ads in MS Word, no matter what we say. Accepted formats
list be damnned! *sigh*. The staff used to just say its a ".doc file"
and "we can't open them" but now they can with OO.o.... alas with borked
formatting, misaligned pix and boxes, etc. In a way its worse than
before because they expect that having a capability means having it work
/perfectly/. So I can empathise with what you're saying there - you
really just can't win.

OTOH, its amusing how fast our sales staff have taken to using OO.o for
anything and everything. I'll be delighted if the ODBC interface to
PostgreSQL improves enough (mainly auto-increment problems) to be
seriously useable with OO.o forms - can you say customer database and
selective form letter? (we've been stuck in the dark ages for a long time).

I've been using OO.o on my debian box at home for ages, but I'm already
being shown stuff by the sales folk as if its blindingly obvious. All
hail user-accessable online help!

On a wee [somewhat ot] tangent, does anybody here know if there's a way
to export a pic from an oo.o (or imported powerpoint) presentation in
its original form? I can dump entire slides, but the quality is very
inferior when all we want is the pic. Its possible (if clunky) with
Writer using save-as-webpage but Impress doesn't seem to do anything
similar (that leaves original images). Ideally it'd be some kind of
"right-click->export-image" function.

BTW, does StarOffice have better Word import filters? if so, it might be
time to have a play.