[plug] Please someone point me in the right direction... SoundCards

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Mar 21 14:28:29 WST 2003

>* AC97 (VIA onboard) to play all main system sound (ie. primary system sound
>card)

Probably uses the "via82cxxx_audio" module. Try "modprobe
via82cxxx_audio" and if that works add "via82cxxx_audio" to its own line
in /etc/modules. If it works, /dev/dsp will be accessable to programs
like xmms.
Get this card working, then once you know its working close any apps
using it, unload the driver module, and work on the other one independently.

>* VIBRA 16 (card) to play MP3's to a stereo (random playlist looped)

Don't know ; try google. "vibra 16 linux module" maybe. Anyway, once
this is working try loading both modules at once. You should then have
/dev/dsp and /dev/dsp1 working.

>* After extensive searching for two and a half weeks, I cannot seem to find
>ANY documentation on how to achieve my goal

Once you've got both sound cards working, then worry about controlling
where the sound goes. By default everything will use /dev/dsp not
/dev/dsp1 when they're both working, its just a matter of telling the
apps you want to play audio to the stereo (xmms presumably) to use
/dev/dsp1 instead of /dev/dsp.

Hope that helps.

Craig