[plug] Please someone point me in the right direction... Sound Cards

Luke Dudney dex at wn.com.au
Fri Mar 21 14:35:12 WST 2003

On 21/03/03 14:20, Craig Ringer wrote:

> *lol*
> I've just been forced to RH for the new dual Xeon at work and it works
> a treat, but with one massive problem - up2date /sucks/, at least
> compared to apt. The "view advisory" option is v. cool but where's my
> mirrors list?!?
> (someone kindly pointed me at apt4rpm on [plug] recently when I asked
> about that - thanks, though I haven't had a chance to try it out yet)

I get the feeling that experienced linux systems administrators aren't
the target users of up2date.
It seems to me that it's designed to aid corporate systems
administrators who either don't have the skills or the time to keep
their 150-strong RedHat rollout up to date.
The RHN and up2date take care of all of that for them, even providing an
inventory of the machines, what OS version they're at, when they were
installed, what patches have been applied etc etc.
On the newbie end-user side of things, it provides an easy and familiar
GUI 'windows update' alternative.
For the rest of us, there's a number of tools we can use to get the job
done ourselves, such as apt-rpm, rpmfind etc.

RedHat are adapting to their growing corporate marketplace while still
making it possible for historical users of the OS to keep current with
updates however they wish (I don't think this will change soon).

Cheers
Luke