[plug] Bind problem

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Fri Mar 21 17:58:12 WST 2003

In message <se7b4862.013 at mmtnetworks.com.au>
on Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 05:14:02PM +0800, Jon  Miller wrote:
> I've discovered tday that I have a buggy bind package.  It was updated
> from version 8 to version bind-9.2.1-1.7x.2.

Although it has its detractors, I've been running bind 9 at some sites
for years now. Didn't have a problem with the upgrade from 8.2, apart
from configuration file refactoring.

> Ever since it was installed I have had nothing but buggy performance
> from email system not able to resolve addresses to just plain slow
> resolving of names.
>
> 1) has anyone had a similar experience?

1/ What addresses can't it resolve? (Local ones or international ones?)

2/ Have you been measuring slowness of the server using direct
   server-connecting tools, or indirectly via the email system?
   (Some people seem to talk about slow resolution but never actually
   test their DNS system directly. And yet without doing that, they
   don't know that the problem isn't to do with low-level network
   transport or application problems.)

> 2) is it possible to go back to the previous version?

Yes. Though hopefully you don't need to. Even so, what
operating system you are using?

> 3) this version does not support the rdnc key

Would you like it to? (Presumably you already have an rndc.conf,
rndc.key and a key-control block in your named.conf?)