[plug] Bind problem

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Fri Mar 21 20:33:29 WST 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-21 at 17:58, James Devenish wrote:
> In message <se7b4862.013 at mmtnetworks.com.au>
> on Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 05:14:02PM +0800, Jon  Miller wrote:
> > I've discovered tday that I have a buggy bind package.  It was updated
> > from version 8 to version bind-9.2.1-1.7x.2.
>
> Although it has its detractors, I've been running bind 9 at some sites
> for years now. Didn't have a problem with the upgrade from 8.2, apart
> from configuration file refactoring.
>
> > Ever since it was installed I have had nothing but buggy performance
> > from email system not able to resolve addresses to just plain slow
> > resolving of names.
> >
> > 1) has anyone had a similar experience?
>
> 1/ What addresses can't it resolve? (Local ones or international ones?)

the .au mostly

> 2/ Have you been measuring slowness of the server using direct
>    server-connecting tools, or indirectly via the email system?
>    (Some people seem to talk about slow resolution but never actually
>    test their DNS system directly. And yet without doing that, they
>    don't know that the problem isn't to do with low-level network
>    transport or application problems.)

No I haven't measured the speed although I may do that.

> > 2) is it possible to go back to the previous version?
>
> Yes. Though hopefully you don't need to. Even so, what
> operating system you are using?

I won't, I'll just try to figure out what the problem is and fix that.

> > 3) this version does not support the rdnc key
>
> Would you like it to? (Presumably you already have an rndc.conf,
> rndc.key and a key-control block in your named.conf?)

Yes I had it in 8.2 and I assumed I needed it in the updated one.  But
since it's been removed, resloution is working properly and at the
correct perceived speed and e-mail is working again.  I'll do some
reading and see what's up with Bind.

--
Jon Miller <jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au>
MMT Networks Pty Ltd