[plug] Modem problems

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Sun Mar 23 22:21:48 WST 2003

> Howdy PLUG,
>
> It has been a loooong time since myself, linux and a 56K modem have been in the same room (yay DSL).  I'm helping a friend setup a gateway, chucked Debian on it, pppconfig - got on the net, jumped around a bit, then the following happens:

<snip irrelevant detail>

> Setting up dial-up gateways has always been simple for me until now ... can anyone suggest anything I might be missing?   I'm stumped.

... then i remembered mtu and mru settings and hit the iinet page which said to use 576 for both.  At first signs this seems to have fixed it, but I can't confirm that until tomorrow night.

Are the kind of problems I was experiencing likely to have been an m[tr]u problem?

Ryan