[plug] ATI Linux 3d Support (or: ATI vs NVidia)

Quintin Lette quintin at arach.net.au
Tue Mar 25 17:31:03 WST 2003

In Tue, 25 Mar 2003 05:18 pm, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 March 2003 16:45, Quintin Lette wrote:
> > My Radeon 7500 works fine 3d accelerated under Linux, I am quite happy
> > with the speed my c900 plays Counter Strike (under wine :))
>
> CS isn't exactly technically straining these days. ^_^

Oh well, its all I got, so until I try something else ...

> > Regarding UT2k3, ATI cards WILL NOT play it, there is no support for a
> > protocol used in the game under Linux :((
>
> Not even using the official ATI linux drivers?

AFAIK official ATI drivers are only available for 9700 Pro (and I would rather
update CPU/Motherboard/RAM instead if I could afford it as gaming is not high
on my priorities: less than 10% of my computer usage) but according to the
U2K3 official website there is only support for Nvidia cards under Linux

> > other than that though I haven't
> > had any problems.
>
> Have you done any speed comparisons between Linux & Windows with other
> games?

I use Windows 0% of the time :) so I dunno

> > I have also found my system more stable under Linux since upgrading from
> > my old GeForce 2 card.
>
> ^_^
> My current GF2 system is fairly stable. Can't remember when I last had any
> crashes or anything...

My old GF2 crashed every few hours :((