[plug] ATI Linux 3d Support (or: ATI vs NVidia)

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Tue Mar 25 17:29:50 WST 2003

Trevor Phillips wrote:

>^_^
>My current GF2 system is fairly stable. Can't remember when I last had any
>crashes or anything...

It depends what ATi card you're looking at getting and how much you're
prepared to spend.  If you're looking at the 9500 or 9700 series Radeons
(Pro or non-Pro), then they have features which will prolong your game
playing experience further than buying a current nVidia card will.
Unless you want the noisey heater that is the nVidia Geforce FX, which
is not quite available yet, more expensive than the Geforce 4 killing
Radeon 9700 Pro and is only slightly faster in some Windows benchmarks
than the 9700 Pro (and in some the 9700 Pro is STILL faster - not bad
for a card thats been out for 6 months - especially when nVidia have had
~12 months R&D time since the GF4 came out).

Definetly flogs my previous Geforce 2 GTS silly thats for sure :).

I still use Windows for gaming currently, as I haven't heard anything
about anyone getting Battlefield 1942 working under Linux, and I just
can't do without that game... :)

/ Ben