Knoppix & WAIX (was Re: [plug] New releases)

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Wed Mar 26 13:21:18 WST 2003

Trevor Phillips wrote:

>Yay! Is this available on a WAIX (or better still, Perth Uni) website yet?
>
>And on that topic: Does anyone know why routing from Unis to WAIX internal IPs
>stopped working a month or so ago, and if it'll ever be "fixed"?

I'd be guessing that it was to do with the P2P servers that several
groups had hosted at Central Data on WAIX only IP addresses.  Apparently
some Uni students were hitting it hard and thrashing the Parnet WAIX
link.  I remember seeing the MRTG for Parnet's WAIX link a while back
and on it there was a period where one of the P2P servers was down and
the usage hit the floor during that exact time period.

So you can probably blame the leeching WAIX P2P kiddies at Uni.  I
wouldn't blame the people in control for doing whatever they could to
block that stuff.

/ Ben