Knoppix & WAIX (was Re: [plug] New releases)

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Wed Mar 26 14:12:56 WST 2003

On Wednesday 26 March 2003 13:21, Ben Jensz wrote:

> I'd be guessing that it was to do with the P2P servers that several
> groups had hosted at Central Data on WAIX only IP addresses.  Apparently
> some Uni students were hitting it hard and thrashing the Parnet WAIX
> link.  I remember seeing the MRTG for Parnet's WAIX link a while back
> and on it there was a period where one of the P2P servers was down and
> the usage hit the floor during that exact time period.

Possibly, but it seems far from a perfect solution. It punishes those with
legitimate uses, and also doesn't fix those P2P services which don't use a
WAIX internal IP address.

I know Murdoch have clamped down on Students sharing - they choked their
bandwidth to WAIX a while ago now, and busted a few of the bigger culprits...

I'm not sure what the other Unis have done about the problem...

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |