[plug] restarting services without rebooting

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Wed Mar 26 16:02:32 WST 2003

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, quoth sol:

> This is only a small problem. I've got a webserver with the user "webmaster"
> 's home directory set to /var/www (as opposed to /home/webmaster). For
> reasons that aren't worth explaining I need to change that so that there is a
> /home/webmaster. I can do this and edit /etc/passwd so the new home directory
> is set, but how can I get the system to recognise this without rebooting? In
> other words which service/daemon do I need to restart to get the system to
> recognise the new configuration?

You missed out the most important bit: what webserver software are you
running?

FWIW Apache doesn't care what you put in /etc/passwd - you set the
"DocumentRoot" in httpd.conf (or srm.conf for older versions) instead
and then run /etc/init.d/apache reload (or /etc/init.d/httpd reload for RH
variants)

 - Matt