Knoppix & WAIX (was Re: [plug] New releases)

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Wed Mar 26 21:29:33 WST 2003

On Wednesday 26 March 2003 02:12 pm, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 March 2003 13:21, Ben Jensz wrote:
>> I remember seeing the MRTG for Parnet's WAIX link a while back
>> and on it there was a period where one of the P2P servers was down and
>> the usage hit the floor during that exact time period.

> Possibly, but it seems far from a perfect solution. It punishes those with
> legitimate uses, and also doesn't fix those P2P services which don't use a
> WAIX internal IP address.

Speaking of which... one of the servers I manage, hosted in UWA (Anatomy)
touched mirror.3fl.net today and a few minutes later stopped responding to
off-campus addresses. I do hope it automatically unblocks at midnight. The
visit to 3fl was entirely in the course of business, not frivolous and no
bandwidth hungry.

The P2P nets use standard ports and protocols. Surely there's a better
solution calling out here than killing anything that touches a 172.* address?

Cheers; Leon