Vi was : Re: [plug] restarting services without rebooting

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Thu Mar 27 09:57:34 WST 2003

Tim Bowden wrote:
>> Or vipw if you're feeling masochistic :)
>>
>> CP.
>>

> What is so masochistic about it?  If anything it is slightly more
> convenient than just doing vi /etc/passwd which is otherwise the easiest
> way to edit passwd.
>
> Tim Bowden

On the subject of vi.
I'm a convert.
I used to live and die by nedit under X, and ae at the console.
Before that it was Qedit under dos, prior to that it was wordstar under
CP/M and before that it was Bank Street Writer under Apple dos 3.3.

Now I have vi even on my embeded machines (busybox implementation) and
even use it for writing code under X.
It took a little getting used to and I still rely on the man page from
time to time, but overall I'm much better off as it's on every machine I
need to use, (except win32 and that probably available if I care to
look). If you have not yet taken the plunge, it's worth the week or two
of frustration while you get used to the command, but once learned
you'll be far better off. A bit like debian really <g,d,r>

Just do it!
--
Brad....
  /"\