Vi was : Re: [plug] restarting services without rebooting

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Mar 27 12:34:04 WST 2003

> On the subject of vi.
> I'm a convert.
[snip]
> It took a little getting used to and I still rely on the man page from
> time to time, but overall I'm much better off as it's on every machine I
> need to use, (except win32 and that probably available if I care to
> look).

Yeah, vim's available for when you have to work on windows. Both native
win32/GDI and win32/cygwin/X11 versions :-)

My only use for windows at home is gaming (people give you funny looks
when you're editing game .ini files with vi, but hey), but at work I
have to keep an NT4 box running. Vi is your friend, especially in
recovery mode.

That said, give me vim (or gvim for coding) on a linux box anyday.

Craig