[plug] Writing a web based front end to a DB

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu Mar 27 13:45:23 WST 2003

At 10:06 27/03/2003 +0800, you wrote:
>One for the developers out there:
>
>I want to write a web based front end to a MySQL database. I would naturally
>use what I know - Perl and CGI, but that's a bit old hat these days. PHP4
>might be a better idea (and it'd give me a chance to learn something new).

If you've not done so already you might want to take a look at MRBS
(mrbs.sourceforge.net) which is quite a nice example, IMHO, of the sort of
thing you're talking about (PHP4 + MySQL or PostgreSQL).   Implements a
Meeting Room Booking System, but may give you some food for thought about
the pros / cons of the choice of language.

HTH,
Denis