[plug] Mandrake 9.1 rant (was: RH 8.0 migration woes)

J Michael Gilks gilksjm at iinet.net.au
Sun Mar 30 16:23:01 WST 2003

I had a few quibbles as well and am currently installing Debian on another box
to be a file, printer, DHCP server and maybe LDAP if I can figure it out.
1. Could not go back in the install menu. Any mistake would mean start again.
Unusually for me I managed to get through the install first time. However
backing up in the install is usually a lifeline for me.
2. New user numbering. Did not get a chance to add an extra user during
install. On one machine I did a new install, but kept the /home partition.
This has 2 users. After booting I added a new user, but Mandrake gave a uid
of 500. This is different to their old numbering system, so the new user had
no access to their /home directory and could not start X.
Time out for swearing and throwing things, until I thought to try chown -R on
the /home directory and it worked.

On the other hand this is the first time I have ever managed to have Tuxracer
run on a TNT2 card straight out of the box. It is at a very low frame rate,
so I may have to try the nVidia drivers.

Never yet found a distribution I was totally happy with, but Mandrake gets
better as a desktop and I stick with Debian for servers. Got to love APT.

Incidentally the only Mandrake apt4rpm repositories I can find are for cooker.
Does anyone know of a repository for the basic distribution?

Fairly long 2c worth.

Love
Mike.