[plug] mounting linux client on samba network

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Fri May 2 14:33:36 WST 2003

On Fri, 2 May 2003, quoth Sol:

> But it
> seems to be read only, even though I have not specified this option.
> Anyhoo, I'm stumped. I think there's something wrong with the entry in
> /etc/fstab:
> //gw/public /mnt/public smbfs, user,sync,username=% 0 0

Is it read-only to root as well, or everyone but root?

If you want it to be writable by a normal user you will need to add
uid=nnnn to the options.
If you want it to be writable by several users you will need to set the
"gid=" option to a group they have in common, and change the fmask and
dmask so it is writable by the group.

 - Matt