[plug] cannot get system to run init on bootup

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat May 3 18:02:42 WST 2003

OK, the kernel is loading and booting, but when it tries to run the
first program, init, it's failing for some reason. First thing to try is
booting with "init=/bin/bash" on your kernel command line. If you get
dropped to a prompt, that tells you that your root FS is being mounted
and read fine, but init is failing for some reason. If not... something
else is broken, but I really can't think what if your drive fsck's ok.

Craig