[plug] Re: kernel update was: USB palm pilot

caston at arach.net.au caston at arach.net.au
Sun May 4 23:15:40 WST 2003

Quoting Andrew Pamment <pamment at iinet.net.au>:

> if you are going to do this, you might as well grab 2.4.20 of
> www.kernel.org, and get up to date.

Funny you should say that. Sometimes when something is taking a long time to do or figure
out in computing I just ask myself if in actual fact I am just being "lazy" and thus taking a
route that actually makes it take longer.

I just update the kernel on my sid setup and it seems to be working quite well.

I'm now using 2.4.20-1-k7

> But then, maybe there is a better "debian" way to do it. I think there
> has got to be some secret debian initiation manual that I don't know
> about that tells you all these things.

All I did was update the system then install the kernal message using apt.
After downloading and installing with all the dependencies it warned me that I needed to add a
line to the "Stanza" section of my lilo.conf Although I'm not sure if I did this right (my system
boots fine) my lilo.conf now looks like

image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only
#       restricted
#       alias=1
initrd=/initrd.img

After running lilo it complained about not being able to find it. I wasn't sure what to do but did
not want to back out so I continued. The next question was related to this but I can't quite
remember (or I didn't completely understand) what it said.

After finishing I rebooted my system and everything worked like a dream.

Anyway I thought updating the kernel was a long and completed process but it seems not.

Maybe there are some apt sources for some more featured exotic kernels around

> Hope that helps. If not, hit your computer and call it rude words. That
> always helps me.

hehe... fsck it...
> Andrew

thanks Andrew