[plug] Re: kernel update was: USB palm pilot

Andrew Pamment pamment at iinet.net.au
Sun May 4 23:42:16 WST 2003

On Sun, 2003-05-04 at 23:15, caston at arach.net.au wrote:

> After running lilo it complained about not being able to find it. I wasn't sure what to do but did
> not want to back out so I continued. The next question was related to this but I can't quite
> remember (or I didn't completely understand) what it said.
>
> After finishing I rebooted my system and everything worked like a dream.

Including the palm pilot? Excellent..

> Anyway I thought updating the kernel was a long and completed process but it seems not.

Well.. you cheated and used apt :) if you compile it yourself it tends
to be a little more long and complicated.. and is good if you are
paranoid like me and think debian is made by aliens who are including
kernel options that send subtle radiation patterns through the monitor
programming my brain and turning me into a zombie. I can't say for
certain if this is true, but to be on the safe side I try and keep my
house as debian free as possible. Admittedly my server has debian (but
no monitor, so I am safe for now) but that will get switched to OpenBSD
3.3 ASAP. Besides when you compile your own kernel it is optimized for
your computer, and makes you more attractive to the opposite sex.

> Maybe there are some apt sources for some more featured exotic kernels around

Maybe. I wouldn't trust them though.. especially Trusted Debian.

Andrew

--
Andrew Pamment
(http: scarab.ath.cx) (MSN: thegodsthemselves at hotmail.com)

"Abashed the Devil stood, And felt how awful goodness is, and saw Virtue
in her shape how lovely; saw, and pined His loss." John Milton.