[plug] CryptoAPI

Andrew Pamment pamment at iinet.net.au
Mon May 5 00:00:25 WST 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-03 at 19:10, Jason H. Smith wrote:
> On Saturday 03 May 2003 11:23 am, Andrew Pamment wrote:
> > blowfish-cbc
> > blowfish-cfb
> > blowfish-ecb
>
> Those are the different encryption modes for the algorithm.  IIRC, ECB is
> good if you want to parallize your encryption or you want random access
> to the plaintext from the ciphertext.  CBC is useful if you don't want
> redundant parts of your plaintext to show up as redundant parts of your
> ciphertext.  And CFB is useful to use the algorithm as a stream cipher,
> i.e. you want to decrypt one byte right now, before the rest of the block
> is read in.

Thanks.. is there a way to choose these different modes? or does it
choose for you? My interest in the CryptoAPI is mainly for storing my
secret files that I don't want /them/ reading. My thoughts are the
kernel decides the mode to use for the particular use.. like CFB for
secure transmission and ECB or CBC for file storage.. is that right? If
so, i would only need to know if one of those files which was used for
data storage was there. Is there a place I can read about this.. So far
I've only found sites about how to mount loop back devices and such..

Thanks
Andrew
.
--
Andrew Pamment
(http: scarab.ath.cx) (MSN: thegodsthemselves at hotmail.com)

"Abashed the Devil stood, And felt how awful goodness is, and saw Virtue
in her shape how lovely; saw, and pined His loss." John Milton.