[plug] Re: kernel update was: USB palm pilot

caston at arach.net.au caston at arach.net.au
Mon May 5 01:06:26 WST 2003

Okay my pilot is now hot-syncing under sid with kpilot. Thanks everyone for all your help!

It wasn't working at first so I kept rmmod and insmod the modules and coldsync'ing and kpilot
syncing and pressing the hotsync button.

First it hot synced about 10% and the palm was stuck on the "identifying user" screen.

After more of the above I tried it again and it synced 100%!

Actually I find it strange that whenever you buy stuff like this is never works straight away
(even if it's setup correcly) for instance when I first got the pilot it wouldn't even sync with
Windows until I gave it a soft-reset with a paper-clip.

Anyway for those that wonder why I bought a Pilot and for Andrew that expressed interest in
getting one.

There very cool. You can work on documents and spreadsheets coverted from OpenOffice
using http://xml.openoffice.org/xmerge/

Of course it's not for any hardcore work just making small changes and entering data.

You can hotsync your calendar, task-list and contacts with evolution.

And a major reason why I bought one is because I use a workflow processing system:

collect -> process -> organise -> review - > do

collect is where I write down all the stuff I need ot do

Process is where I work out all the actionable steps
if it takes less than 2-3 minutes I do it straight away

organise is where I decide when and where i am going to do it such as put it in my calendar or
mid-term or someday maybe folders

reivew is for my weekly review

I was using the system but it fell apart because I could only really use it on my desktop and it
was frustrating when I wanted access to my calendar from the field. Now that I have a palm
pilot I can do workflow processing anywhere.

Anyway it's all from the book "how to get things done"which is a good read on personal
productvity.

regards,

Chris Caston