[plug] Re: Mandrake (ask Leon) was: kernel update was: USB palm pilot

Simon Scott sscott at iinet.net.au
Mon May 5 09:33:17 WST 2003

> I have an open mind for OpenBSD. If you think the Debian zombies are bad you
should see
> the one for Mandrake. Just ask Leon.

After having thoroughly used Mandrake 9.1 in both a desktop (xinerama)
scenario and now on 2 servers, I declare it the best Linux distro of all time
(tm). Unless you like wasting your time (like most Debian, *BSD and slackware
people seem to do) this is probably the distro for you.

You wouldnt believe how comfortable it is to get a true minimal install with
urpmi and few well chosen urpmi sources.

Or go a full blown KDE desktop and have everything simply *work*.

The desktop had very few glitches, actually the only one I can recall was with
the K3B (IIRC, the KDE CD writer thing) configuration stuffing up groups and
not doing what it said it was doing.

Sweet, fast, and configurable. HIGHLY recommended.