[plug] [plug ADSL - was: *NOTHING*

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Mon May 5 12:18:32 WST 2003

----- Forwarded by Richard Meyer/Australia/Contr/IBM on 05/05/2003 12:10 PM
-----

                      Alex Le Dain
                      <alex at icon-tech.c        To:       <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
                      om.au>                   cc:
                                               Subject:  [plug]
                      05/05/2003 11:21
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      plug

>Hi List,

>I am a Linux newbie (relatively) and am using Redhat 8 connecting to
iinet, but I cannot get my ethernet ADSL >running. I tried the default
version of rp-pppoe (3.4.7) with no success, and so have upgraded to the
latest >version (3.5.1) but am still failing to get connected. I am at the
end of my tether here and am quite willing >to pay for someone to come and
set it all up!

<<snipped>>

>and to simplify it I reduced the network to:

>redhat8machine---ADSLmodem+-----phoneline-----internet

What is this ADSL modem? I'm asking because many people call ADSL routers,
"modems". Before I got ADSL, I read up on all sorts of things including
pppoe, and went through installations of software. I then chose an ALCATEL
SpeedTouch Pro 4 port router, and could safely forget everthing. I just had
to define the router as my default route (10.0.0.138 in my case) and I was
out and surfing. Alternatively, I could tell my Linux box that the router
was a DHCP server, with the same results.

<<snipped>>

RichardM