[plug] [plug ADSL - was: *NOTHING*

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue May 6 00:55:57 WST 2003

> What is this ADSL modem? I'm asking because many people call ADSL routers,
> "modems". Before I got ADSL, I read up on all sorts of things including
> pppoe, and went through installations of software. I then chose an ALCATEL
> SpeedTouch Pro 4 port router, and could safely forget everthing. I just had
> to define the router as my default route (10.0.0.138 in my case) and I was
> out and surfing. Alternatively, I could tell my Linux box that the router
> was a DHCP server, with the same results.

I have an Alcatel SpeedTouch Pro at home (Work runs off a SpeedTouch
Home, amusingly) and I feel obliged to point out a 3rd, much more
flexible option: tell it to forget its a router and act as a DSL/ATM to
Ethernet/PPPoE bridge and treat it as a DSL modem.

You can always go back to router mode later, but there's lots more you
can do with it acting as a DSL modem. For example:
   -easy to have a listening sshd on the firewall,
   -ability to watch skript kiddi3z scrabble helplessly at the firewall
   -do tdpdumps of incoming SMB spam & IIS worms
   -much easier to run HTB QoS on the firewall
   -easier to set up smart conntracking port forwards to internal hosts
   -run a H.323 gateway for VoIP
   -(the list goes on)
Basically, I like having a rock-solid quality DSL device (that I can
switch to "I'm a good little router-using ISP subscriber, stop telling
me the problem is on my end because I don't run 'doze you brainless git"
mode when I need to) which still gives me lots of control and
flexability. I /think/ the SpeedTouch Pro can even forward you PPPoA
traffic, so you can do your own ATM handling and have multiple IPs etc -
no need for a Cisco. Don't take my word for that one though, my manual
is not nearby.

Then again, not many people /need/ HTB QoS on their home lan, or a VoIP
gatekeeper. Whatever. The option is there if you need it - your router
doesn't have to stay a router.

Craig Ringer