[plug] Distro Wars was: Mandrake (ask Leon) was: kernel update was: USB palm pilot

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Mon May 5 12:23:04 WST 2003

>> Having said that, I can see why people might use Debian - the apt-get
type
>> tools look really good. Pity the installation is so non-intuitive. I
have

>What does apt-get do that urpmi doesnt?

Don't know - maybe somebody who's used both can tell us.

The other reason that Debian is popular among the FSF crowd is that it's
the biggest/only distro untainted by commercial interests, and allows
itself to be called GNU/Linux  ;)

>Last time I installed Debian (potato) it worked and all - I just realised
>was spending most of my time wrestling with the install rather than
getting
>useful work done.

I collect and install distros more as a hobby than anything.

>I guess if youre more OS focused rather than apps focused then its a good
>thing.

RichardM