[plug] wake on lan in new kernels?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue May 6 01:26:23 WST 2003

> I've got into the habit of editing the bios to turn power saving off.
> (early lessons in cold reboot and data loss).Kernel building allows my
> machine to shutdown after a halt command from root, but that's not the
> real value ...
>
> Q. How is linux doing with power saving like 'wake on lan'?
>    Could this be effectively setup on a firewall (ok a home firewall) so
> as to allow power saving where possible and  yet effective packet
> transmission (if perhaps slower to start up) where needed?

WoL works great for me. From wherever I am, I:

ssh <firewall's dyndns name> wakeup && \
ssh -L 2222:192.168.0.4:22 <firewall's dyndns name>

to call a simple script on the firewall:

#!/bin/bash
sudo ether-wake \`grep 192.168.0.4 /etc/ethers | cut -f 1\`

(sudo being configured to allow passwordless execution of ether-wake by me)

Works wonderfully. I send a wakeup from work, wait 2 mins (my machine
has a SCSI card and takes forever to boot), and ssh in direct to my home
box with "ssh -p 2222 localhost".

Combine this with ssh RSA keys, ssh-agent, and a couple of tiny scripts
and you get a very smooth setup indeed.

However, I don't use APM sleep right now, I just shut down and boot up
remotely. I've been meaning to try APM again now that nVidia's drivers
have improved to support PM properly, but still it'll probably be a
2.6/ACPI thing really.

Craig