[plug] wake on lan in new kernels?

Daniel cottmain at plug.linux.org.au
Mon May 5 22:55:34 WST 2003

Hello All,
somehow a newspaper cut out found its way onto my place at the kitchen
table - power saving tips.

I've got into the habit of editing the bios to turn power saving off.
(early lessons in cold reboot and data loss).Kernel building allows my
machine to shutdown after a halt command from root, but that's not the
real value ...

Q. How is linux doing with power saving like 'wake on lan'?
   Could this be effectively setup on a firewall (ok a home firewall) so
as to allow power saving where possible and  yet effective packet
transmission (if perhaps slower to start up) where needed?

Thanks,
Daniel.
- If Linux is like an RMWilliams boot in a sea of Gucci Loafers:
  why are we letting them drink our beer and get paid for it?