[plug] ADSL - was: *NOTHING*

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Tue May 6 08:07:57 WST 2003

----- Forwarded by Richard Meyer/Australia/Contr/IBM on 06/05/2003 07:58 AM
-----

                      "Craig Dyke"
                      <grail at enterprize        To:       <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
                      .net.au>                 cc:
                                               Subject:  Re: [plug] ADSL - was: *NOTHING*
                      05/05/2003 10:42
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      plug

>Richard

>I have just recently joined Westnet and am waiting ok from Telstra.

>Am I reading your response below correctly to say rp-pppoe is not required
>to connect to Westnet?

Craig, some of the other people have given you better advice a bit later,
but that is correct *insofar* as my Linux boxen are concerned. I believe
that the pppoa/e stuff is handled by the router. When I got the Pro, I
carefully read the manual, and made copious notes about the 4 different
modes it supported, etc ..... While I was waiting for Telstra to do their
thing.

I then plugged a Windows box into the Pro and called Westnet (Just to make
sure that we *could* get through - I didn't feel like fiddling for a week,
and then find there was a line problem or the Pro was broke or something).
Took them about 2 minutes to talk me through the config, which mainly
consisted of deleting default stuff and entering magic numbers.

After that, you just set up the Linux boxes with the gateway address, and
away you go. No pppoe/a required on the *n*x boxes.

However some of the other guys have given better advice, which you could
follow.

RichardM